Founded in 1936 as the first electric cooperative in Missouri, Boone Electric continues to serve the people who own their cooperative - you, the member-owners.
We are dedicated to providing the best service to you and your family or business and to being active members of the community. We're in it for the future, just as we have been in the past.
What is a cooperative?
- A co-op is member owned.
- A co-op has opened membership and may provide service to anyone within its territorial boundaries.
- A co-op is locally managed.
- A co-op is service oriented.
- A co-op may refund capital credit dividends to its members.
Your cooperative at a glance
- Located in Columbia, Missouri.
- Provides electric service to more than 30,000 homes, farms and businesses.
- Serves Boone County and portions of Randolph, Audrain, Monroe, Howard and Callaway counties.
- 2,893 miles of electric line, with a density of 10.39 meters per mile of line.
- Governed by a nine-person board of directors, elected by the membership.
- Locally owned and operated.
- Operated with Innovation, Accountability, Integrity and Commitment to Community values.
- Returned more than $53 million in capital credits to our members since 1937.
- First cooperative in Missouri to offer renewable energy to its members.
- Since 1997, the Boone Electric Community Trust has given back $2.5 million to the community.
- Boone Electric, along with the 40 other Missouri electric cooperatives, gets its power primarily from coal-fired power plants, which are administered by Central Electric Power Cooperative and Associated Electric Cooperative, Inc.